Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Current time: 09/19/19 at 03:10:37
. .

Home Register Help Search Login
IF YOU FIND YOURSELF WITH A PASSWORD INCORRECT ERROR, MY APOLOGIES. DELETE YOUR COOKIES ASSOCIATED WITH J2E.ORG TO FIX THIS ERROR.

The Hiryuu Honyaku Asylum: 'Stab's YaBB'
   The Debate Boards
   Culture- general knowledge
(Moderators: Epryn, Kaa Lee)
 Author
Topic: Culture- general knowledge
Reply Printable Page
SD-Astarte
Cute Dark Lady

. . .
    Culture- general knowledge   (Date posted: 10/23/01 at 14:47:45) Quote Modify Delete

*grumble*stupidispdisconnectingmeanddeletingmypost*grumble*

... ehem ^^" *cough*
As you can see the topic is ... culture!
After a discussion about it in university, I'm curious to see what your opinions are. =)

I
Do you think it is important to have a certain level of knowledge about "culture" - wether you are really interested in it or not?
Not necessarily being an expert on all fields, but just having at least a broad overview over music, art and literature ?
Going also- whenever possible(since this involves spending money on it)- to exhibitions, concerts, to the theater and the opera.

Or do you think you don't need it?
Since you "don't like" it, or because you are saying that you are simple not interested ?
Maybe also saying that this things belong to a certain "class" of people and it has nothing to do with you?

Whatever it is- don't just say yes or no =P
Give the reason of WHY ...

II
Wether or not you are interested in cultural things: would you take care that your child,ren - should you have any later in life- are going to have a good general knowledge about culture? (meaning normaly that you have to drag them to museums and things like that)
That they grow up with a certain "standard" when it comes to manners? (for instance many women are suprised when men open the door for them)

WWW  E-Mail   Ip: Logged
MMX
Administrator

Re: Culture- general knowledge   (Date posted: 10/23/01 at 16:54:53) Quote Modify Delete

I.  Do I think it's important to have a certain knowledge of it?
Well... you used the example of "manners" and how opening a door.... I would think it's pretty important to at least have BASIC things like that... to be polite and all that... of course, you should never disrespect someone unless it's intentional =D

II.  That my children would have at least a basic knowledge of it?
Yeah, sure, but I wouldn't drag them to museums and the like.... well, if they wanted to go sure... I don't think I'd force them to do anything they didn't want to... unless I deemed it "necessary"... hmm... o_O"
But I'd certainly encourage them to do as much as possible... *shrug*

Lester_the_Molester
A weird material

Nookie never lies!
    Re: Culture- general knowledge   (Date posted: 10/24/01 at 10:31:06) Quote Modify Delete

I like corn...

No nookie = WAHT FUKC TEH!?
erickei
Bear with milk seeping from it

I seek the blood of the sacred AND the blood of the damned...Both are like... Blood.... Yeh... Blood... I think...
    Re: Culture- general knowledge   (Date posted: 10/24/01 at 11:54:44) Quote Modify Delete

I : Cultcha inna worl' today

I think it certainly helps to have at least some knowledge of different forms of culture...Well, at least for me personally, but I do believe that it is important for ppl in general to have at least some concept of these things bcos it will, at the very least, help you get along in school and in society without having to stop every 5 minutes for someone to explaiin wtf is going on around you...Without at least some basic knowledge of culture -- or, at least, of one's own culture [yes I know 2 different "culture"'s but they're related lol] -- One would have no frame of reference to getting along with ppl outside of one's own narrow social circle, or perhaps outside of one's own family. As for me personally regarding the specific ones you mentioned:

- Music: I have, like most ppl, an interest in the music I grew up with [eg, 70's~80's, Disneyesque, modern musical-types, classic rock and new wave] or sang in school choruses [eg, choral music (natch ^_^), and a bit of barbershop quartet], at least a passing familiarity with other types of music from outside my immediate milieu [eg, older 20th century music, some 90's music], and a [very] vague conception regarding music that is either long before my time [such as most classical music] or which is radically outside of my personal experiences and tastes [eg, grunge, rap, country, performance-Art-style stuff]...That's not to say I do not like music from outside of my normal groupings, just that I have less experience with others, tho I can name a few pieces from each, the "outside" genres as a whole must neccessarily suffer at the expense of my preferred types, as often happens...

- Art: Please pardon the old cliche: "I dunno art, but I know what I like" -_-; ...I tend to dislike "modern art" and extreme abstraction [tho the works of the eternally odd M.C. Escher will always have a place in my heart and on my wall], while my tastes tend to turn towards realism and, at times, impressionism...Call me simplistic, but I like to see what I'm dealing with, tho I'm always up for a work that appears to be one thing [eg, a landscape in New England with a village off to the side] and contains something else to make you pay attention if you look a bit closer [eg, the crowd off in the background in the bottom corner which is carrying off some poor lady to be burned as a witch...]...Note that I am referring primarily to visual "art" here, written and aural art are covered under Astarte's other two headings]...I tend to "drag myself" over to the local museum once in awhile myself to go and look at the pretty pic-tchas [yes George lol] just to look at them, I prefer looking at art and appreciating their visceral beauty more than ignoring the surface and assuming that there must be something "deeper" within...I hate dissecting things, it takes away the magic for me...

- Literature: First, on "dissecting" and over-explicating Lit, see the above poston art, as well as most everything I've ever posted that had anything to do with books...Me on books...Perhaps I'm predjudiced [an English major? Biased towards books?! Never...^_^], but I tend to favor reading over other forms of culture, perhaps due to its inherent ability to enrich one's vocabulary, and, over time, help one to become a better writer...Moreover, writers from Homer and beyond [as well as before] tend to fill their works with references, both direct and indirect, to their legends, times, politics, beliefs, etc, usw, so on and so forth...Thus, they can tell us many things about the times they lived and wrote in, even without meaning to; this is one of the main sources that we use to find out about the way ppl lived, esp. in times/places where history was not written down and preserved to the extent it is today...

-------

Artists, writers, and musicians all have their place in "culture," both as definers of what is considered to be culture as well as being reflections of that same culture/people/era. They communicate these things in different ways and thus, are all equally important in expanding one's breadth of knowledge and helping to lead one to experience in the world as a whole.

==============

II : Kids an' cultcha

If and when I should have the fortune to be blessed with children, my first priority will be to make sure that they are not to be named after anyone here they learn proper manners...Pehaps it's just my upbringing in a mid-class neighborhood in the traditionalistic city of New Orleans, but my folks brought me up to be courteous and polite -- something which I have found is lacking in many ppl, adult or youth, today -- , and I believe that it would be best to raise my kids to be the same way. Having come up this way has turned out to provide certain benefits in society/Real Life, eg, the fact that many ppl simply assume that anyone under 30 is going to be sullen and discourteous, and it makes their day, at times, to find someone who is the opposite...And yes, I do hold the door for other ppl, I just tink of it as natural, it's almost a reflex, and I find that ppl tend to appreciate it...[keep in mind that in my family this is the norm, not the exception]...But I have found that having the uncommon trait of "common courtesy" [it's just as rare as common sense lol] is one that helps one to more easily gain the respect -- or at the very least the recognition [as a human being] -- of people around you. Also, as a purely selfish side note, ppl tend to mistake common courtesy for maturity/sanity/normalcy [if only they knew MWAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!], thus allowing one to fit in more easily in a business environment [read as : any place where you would make more than 5-7 bucks an hour by working there...if your name is embroidered onto your work uniform, you probably are NOT working at one of these places...] and be taken more seriously in whatever you happen to be doing at the time...

I would want my kids to have at least a broad knowledge of culture -- as I had growing up, I want them to have a variety of experiences to draw from, so that, when they have developed the maturity over time to choose certain areas to explore more fully, they can know what they're getting into and perhaps, how better to go about doing so...Put simply [<profman> Much, much too late for that...], not only do I want my ostensible kids to have the freedom to choose where they want to go and what they want to do, but also to understand what all their choices are and why they might or might not want to pursue them.

Last modification: erickei - 10/24/01 at 11:54:44

I WILL EAT YOUR SOUL! (Oh yes, i'm that clever)

"My favorite color is 'clear'. "
~ My IRL brother, Colin

-- "There is nothing wrong with making mistakes, but one should always make new ones. Repeating mistakes is a hallmark of a dim consciousness."
--"The demarcation between curiosity-seeker and lotus-eater is paper-thin."
~ Suenteus Po in Dave Sim's Cerebus, Book 7

" I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble." -- Helen Keller

"The best things in life are silly."
~ Garbageman in Scott Adams' Dilbert

"The next one of you who moves before Most Holy comes out again will spend the rest of eternity drinking lava through an iron straw!!!"
~ Pope/"Most Holy" Cerebus, Cerebus Book 4

<"co-worker> 'Eric, have you lost your mind or something?!'
<me with a disturbing grin> 'No, I threw it away...'"

"Sanity is but a state of mind...And like Time and Life, it will go away if you simply refuse to renew your subscription" ~ The Great Confused-Us

"Only two things are constant..., the universe and human stupidity...and I'm not so sure about the universe." ~ Albert Einstein

seen on bumper stickers:
~ My reality check BOUNCED
~ [in a pickup truck rear window] If you can read this, I can slam on my brakes and SUE YOU!
Tωrin
Oogami's apprentice

yare yare...
    Re: Culture- general knowledge   (Date posted: 10/24/01 at 12:33:37) Quote Modify Delete

Excellent ramblin' Eric! You've truly earned the title of Long-Winded ^^;;

I think different kinds of culture are important in different ways (what a generalization).
IMNSHO (understatement) I'm a bit of a renaissance man in that I can't seem to decide which field I should follow through in.

I. I think music, as one topic, is very important...though probably not in a cultural way. Listening to music is a cure for oh so many things. Thus, having some knowledge of it seems like a good idea. I believe I have a bit of an ear for music; thus, when I listen to a song, if I'm not engaging in something important (or if I'm completely spaced out ^^; I'm usually analyzing the song. I feel that most of my musical opinions agree with a lot of critics genuinely smart people (like most of the people on this board!!). Though this is not at all cultural so forgive my rambliness ^^;;
        Some different genres of music can be considered cultural however. I for one love rock such as Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, and the amazing guitar skills of Hendrix (...not very eccentric, I know...). Though I can appreciate other genres of music. Some comedic attempts like They Might Be Giants (more rock-ish though) and others are cool to listen to sometimes. I haven't been listening to much classical stuff, though I do appreciate some of it...although I haven't listened to it enough to develop a real taste for it. There are certain obvious genres which don't really deserve my appreciation, but I won't get into that....SHEET! NEXT PERIOD! AH!!!! ...TOO BE CONTINUED!!!

Kaa: I WILL NOT RIP TEH PEANUT BUTTER FOR YUO!!1
Turin: OH NO! I LOSE A BITCH!1
*Someone walks past*
Turin: Err..I mean...uhh... a bit! just a little bit...
Kaa: Teehee!
Turin: .-_-.

~
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring,
Renewed shall be the blade that was broken:
The crownless again shall be king.
Lester_the_Molester
A weird material

Nookie never lies!
    Re: Culture- general knowledge   (Date posted: 10/24/01 at 13:03:01) Quote Modify Delete

"They Might Be Giants" rulez!

SPIDER!!!

He is our hero!

Chibi-Yoshon
Administrator

All of my personalities have been STOLEN by you vultures!
    Re: Culture- general knowledge   (Date posted: 10/24/01 at 14:17:30) Quote Modify Delete

I open doors for girls all the time at school. It really impresses them for some reason... I guess they think i'm chivalrous or something. ^-^

I have been stripped bare of my personalities, I am no-one. I am... Not-Yoshon.

Quotes:

"who's been in my mayonnaise? I know there was more than this in the jar. How many times do I have to tell you people to leave my mayonnaise alone!?-Clint Eastwood, after opening his personal refrigerator

"Sorry Rajiv, but the asylum members are in another channel"-Me

"I HAS THE TAPE!"- Kaa Lee

"And now I leave you to your.... umm... Your moosy fate! MWAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!"-Zim, from invader Zim (commenting on his plot to send someone to a... room with a moose)

"You're really one of the only people who can appreciate that Amaaazingness of this plan"-Zim, from Invader Zim

"Life is like a poem, you give and take"- Guy on Goth site

"HOW THE HELL IS THAT LIKE A POEM!?"-Masterninja.com

"What do you get when you kiss a girl? You get enough germs to catch pneumonia And after that... she'll never phone ya"- Burt Bacharach

"It's not easy to give a damn"- Rajiv

Lester_the_Molester
A weird material

Nookie never lies!
    Re: Culture- general knowledge   (Date posted: 10/24/01 at 17:12:18) Quote Modify Delete

Chivalry makes the man...

Evil Vampire Yoshon!
Administrator

Re: Culture- general knowledge   (Date posted: 10/24/01 at 18:29:31) Quote Modify Delete

It makes the man's sex appeal.
I guess to some, that is the man.
^-^

well that and looks... ^0^

Quotes:

"who's been in my mayonnaise? I know there was more than this in the jar. How many times do I have to tell you people to leave my mayonnaise alone!?-Clint Eastwood, after opening his personal refrigerator

"And now I leave you to your.... umm... Your moosy fate! MWAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!"-Zim, from invader Zim (commenting on his plot to send someone to a... room with a moose)

"You're really one of the only people who can appreciate that Amaaazingness of this plan"-Zim, from Invader Zim

"What do you get when you kiss a girl? You get enough germs to catch pneumonia And after that... she'll never phone ya"- Burt Bacharach

Epryn
Lunatic Guardian

Re: Culture- general knowledge   (Date posted: 10/25/01 at 00:48:06) Quote Modify Delete

Yeah, see it's that second part that damns me...it doesn't matter how many doors I hold open, I've got to find my way to heaps of cash before anyone looks twice in my general direction (without wincing) let alone right at me.

Œυ‚Ζˆό‚ΰ•\‚Ζ— ‚ΰ
‰΄‚̍Ÿ‚ΜŽθ‚Ε“h‚θ’Χ‚·‚Ύ‚―B
‰΄‚Ν‰΄‚Ύ‚―A ‰΄ˆκl‚Ύ‚―
ƒƒrƒEƒX‚̂͂𑀂ιB
SD-Astarte
Cute Dark Lady

. . .
    Re: Culture- general knowledge   (Date posted: 10/25/01 at 04:21:09) Quote Modify Delete

Lester, Yosh- stay on topic - this is not General =P

Epryn- after reading your post I got the impression you trying to persuade us you're some kind of ... uh hideous monster ? o_O"
Common, it can't be that bad ^_^
(at least not worse than some of the male informatik-students -_- *shudder*)

Turin, mois suis interested in seeing the continuation of your post =)

werepuppy, you stated your opinion about manners... so what about "culture" ? =)

erickei, great post ^_^  
I'll maybe comment on some things later- but right now my brain is still asleep, so pardon me ~_~"

*falls asleep*

Evil Vampire Yoshon!
Administrator

Re: Culture- general knowledge   (Date posted: 10/25/01 at 05:51:02) Quote Modify Delete

*Stares are AStarte longingly*
Astarte:....***!!!

Yoshonh wait... stay on topic... right...
Errrmmmmmmm.... I'lm not good at this kind of thing... wait... wait....

Yeh, European culture irritates me. I hate conspicuous consumption (when an item becomes more valuable the less it fits it's purpose)for instance, an eighty year old pillow with metal studs attached is stiff and uncomfortable... It's worth a whole lot though.

Asian culture interests me... especially Feudal Japan... with Bushido and budo and all that kewl stuff.

Quotes:

MMX
Administrator

Re: Culture- general knowledge   (Date posted: 10/25/01 at 17:27:41) Quote Modify Delete

and Kendo! ^_^
Err... I mean... never mind... [don't forget Kyudo] SHUT THE HELL UP,  ARCHERY IS FOR RETARDS!!! I mean... err... anyways... about culture?

Well.... culture... that's sort of like "The Arts" type of life, right?
In colleges things are generally divided into The Arts and The Sciences, so oftentimes I like to apply these overgeneralized terms onto most everything about life ^^"

So I shall ask YOU (and afterwards I'll answer your question =P) What about the SCIENCES!? Hmm!? I definitely know all of you people are into the Arts, but what about the Sciences!?!?!?!?! Hmm!?!? Do you think it's important for people to know a lot about the sciences!?

Kaa Lee
The princess of MAGICAL LOVE BUNNIES!

There is only one thing cooler than my crown...MEEE
    Re: Culture- general knowledge   (Date posted: 10/25/01 at 19:33:22) Quote Modify Delete

Since I currently lack the concentration and the energy to write a long and rambling post about culture, I'll just skim the surface.

I think it is important to have a 'certain level' of knowledge of culture, if only so that you can understand references made by others. My Spanish teacher is constantly making references to songs, movies, books, etc. that most of the class has never heard of, and it aggravates him to no end. He wants to make up a list of culture-related items that should be read/seen/heard/experienced/whatever by students before taking his class.

Anyway, I have another question: Is it better to have a broad overview on all aspects of culture or to be an expert on a certain area? Personally, I wish I had more knowledge of culture than I do. It would've helped if I could've been born about ten years earlier...

In terms of kids, I would want mine to have a good amount of general cultural knowledge, but I wouldn't drag them to museums and the like against their will.

Well, if that's skimming the surface, I'm glad I didn't try to write an in-depth post.

"Your life's going nowhere, and you're taking me with you!" -Yoshon
Ghost Captain
Lunatic Guardian

Re: Culture- general knowledge   (Date posted: 10/25/01 at 23:58:04) Quote Modify Delete

While I personally don't believe there's any inherent value in museum exhibits, or art galleries, or necessarily in classical music or literature, if one can find something to appreciate in those (without someone else telling them it's worthwhile) that's what I see as culture. My problem is that a lot of people who try to 'culture' themselves just do it for a feeling of superiority, and end up pretentious, or feign an interest in it because society tells them they should, or they'll somehow be better for it.
As for children, basing strictly hypothetically (as I am quite sure I'll never face the problem), I figure that forcing them to subscribe to the classical idea of culture is wrong, and I'd rather see them take a genuine interest in something, so I'd support them in any cultural endeavors, but I'd never try to influence them in a certain direction (or so I'd like to think).

Finally, I am a hideous monster, at least that's what life, and the actions of others has led me to believe...but at least I'm a consistent monster! It's not like I have those momentary flashes where people treat me like a human being (okay, I'm exaggerating a little there, but speaking of my love life, there is none, never has been one, and will probably never be one).

Œυ‚Ζˆό‚ΰ•\‚Ζ— ‚ΰ
‰΄‚̍Ÿ‚ΜŽθ‚Ε“h‚θ’Χ‚·‚Ύ‚―B
‰΄‚Ν‰΄‚Ύ‚―A ‰΄ˆκl‚Ύ‚―
ƒƒrƒEƒX‚̂͂𑀂ιB
Reply Printable Page
Pages: 1 2
Jump to:

IF YOU FIND YOURSELF WITH A PASSWORD INCORRECT ERROR, MY APOLOGIES. DELETE YOUR COOKIES ASSOCIATED WITH J2E.ORG TO FIX THIS ERROR.

YaBB Board © 2000
YaBB Programming Team