Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Current time: 09/22/19 at 21:10:04
. .

Home Register Help Search Login
IF YOU FIND YOURSELF WITH A PASSWORD INCORRECT ERROR, MY APOLOGIES. DELETE YOUR COOKIES ASSOCIATED WITH J2E.ORG TO FIX THIS ERROR.

The Hiryuu Honyaku Asylum: 'Stab's YaBB'
   The Langrisser Boards
   Bosel: The *best* spelling of his name?
(Moderators: アザゼル, Ragiv the King of socks)
 Author
Topic: Bosel: The *best* spelling of his name?
Reply Printable Page
Oogami
Administrator

POWAR PELLITS ARE GOOD!

37044867   37044867     Oogami
    Bosel: The *best* spelling of his name?   (Date posted: 08/17/01 at 09:51:07) Quote Modify Delete

While for the longest time I've used Bosel as the spelling for our favorite Langrisser bad-boy, as it's the spelling Masaya uses and the spelling I happen (or at least happened) to most agree with, Astarte had brought something to my attention which might change my mind.  She thinks that Masaya *could* have actually meant for his name to be Böser (it could work with the katakana ボーゼル; the pronunciation isn't exact, but it's impossible to capture the unique sound of the ö in kana anyways), which would mean "bad guy" in German.  Food for thought.

思い知るが良い、己の未熟さを!
  WWW  E-Mail   Ip: Logged
Oogami
Administrator

POWAR PELLITS ARE GOOD!

Re: Bosel: The *best* spelling of his name?   (Date posted: 08/17/01 at 09:55:51) Quote Modify Delete

Once again, YaBB fucks up some international character I type. The  (can also be written as oe; it's the o-umlaut in German) was this time the victim of YaBB's corruption.  Curses.

So just think of his name as Boeser. There.

Last modification: Oogami - 08/17/01 at 09:53:23

Last modification: Oogami - 08/17/01 at 09:55:51

思い知るが良い、己の未熟さを!
Chibi-Yoshon
Administrator

All of my personalities have been STOLEN by you vultures!
    Re: Bosel: The *best* spelling of his name?   (Date posted: 08/17/01 at 13:14:20) Quote Modify Delete

Wow.... Cool, Langrisser seems to have quite a few German references anyway... I wouldn't put it below masaya

I have been stripped bare of my personalities, I am no-one. I am... Not-Yoshon.

Quotes:

"who's been in my mayonnaise? I know there was more than this in the jar. How many times do I have to tell you people to leave my mayonnaise alone!?-Clint Eastwood, after opening his personal refrigerator

"Sorry Rajiv, but the asylum members are in another channel"-Me

"I HAS THE TAPE!"- Kaa Lee

"And now I leave you to your.... umm... Your moosy fate! MWAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!"-Zim, from invader Zim (commenting on his plot to send someone to a... room with a moose)

"You're really one of the only people who can appreciate that Amaaazingness of this plan"-Zim, from Invader Zim

"Life is like a poem, you give and take"- Guy on Goth site

"HOW THE HELL IS THAT LIKE A POEM!?"-Masterninja.com

"What do you get when you kiss a girl? You get enough germs to catch pneumonia And after that... she'll never phone ya"- Burt Bacharach

"It's not easy to give a damn"- Rajiv

Oogami
Administrator

POWAR PELLITS ARE GOOD!

Re: Bosel: The *best* spelling of his name?   (Date posted: 08/17/01 at 15:47:48) Quote Modify Delete

Well, it's not so amazing since it's from a series with a name which is (supposed to be) from German =).  Interestingly enough, Warsong in German is Kriegslied, a name I find just cool (but Astarte thinks is not appropriate for the sword of light).

思い知るが良い、己の未熟さを!
CmG

Re: Bosel: The *best* spelling of his name?   (Date posted: 08/31/01 at 21:43:27) Quote Modify Delete

Well, I am German and i had to laugh about the game title "Der Langrisser" only the Article is German the rest is... well.. funny lol
   E-Mail   Ip: Logged
SD-Astarte
Cute Dark Lady

. . .
    Re: Bosel: The *best* spelling of his name?   (Date posted: 09/01/01 at 00:43:16) Quote Modify Delete

Actually, if you look at the prolouge text of Langrisser 1, Kriegslied (Warsong) isn't that far of, at least for the original L1 - since there were constant battles for the sword, according to the prolouge; Also at that time there wasn't the "Hikari no Matsue and Co" storyline- the sword could be used by whoever got it and it wasn't the Sword of light yet, "only" a legendary (and holy? ^^") sword.
Therefore the name Kriegslied/warsong is only appropriate for L1(and 2 also), having nations going into war for a sword.  =P
*hopes she didn't forget anything* ^^"

Oh, and I think I've already posted once about the different "variations" to the swords name- I'm not feeling like posting it again =P

Scythe
Still Insanely Cool Guy!

Master of the twin succession techniques.
    Re: Bosel: The *best* spelling of his name?   (Date posted: 09/01/01 at 12:52:17) Quote Modify Delete

Yeah, it's possible masaya meant it that way. In any case, those names are generally cool and thus alternate spellings are interesting curiosities anyways. I personally still like "Bozel" anyway though. ^_-

Last modification: Scythe - 09/01/01 at 12:52:17

He who has gotten used to training and survival as he aspires to be a Rurouni. Also, Neo Shinsengumi Nibantai Kumichou in his free time.
Lester_the_Molester
A weird material

Nookie never lies!
    Re: Bosel: The *best* spelling of his name?   (Date posted: 09/01/01 at 21:07:47) Quote Modify Delete

Yeah...Bozel has a nice "sinister" ring to it.
It would appear to me that the game is set in medieval Germany(?).  I would like to hear the German dub to the Langrisser characters.
And it could be worse with "Bozel".  Bad translations could have his name become "Bozo"!

No nookie = WAHT FUKC TEH!?
Scythe
Still Insanely Cool Guy!

Re: Bosel: The *best* spelling of his name?   (Date posted: 09/01/01 at 22:23:27) Quote Modify Delete

Actually I had not thought of that...Other than the fact that it's a fictional world, there's little else that helps you link it to the real one, so I would normally reject that...But medieval Germany is an interesting supposition...

He who has gotten used to training and survival as he aspires to be a Rurouni. Also, Neo Shinsengumi Nibantai Kumichou in his free time.
Oogami
Administrator

POWAR PELLITS ARE GOOD!

Re: Bosel: The *best* spelling of his name?   (Date posted: 09/02/01 at 14:37:36) Quote Modify Delete

I always equated Yeless continent (a continent many of you haven't run into yet, unless you've played Langrissers IV or V) with medieval Europe, and El Sallia with the Americas, though the colonists were definitely of different European origin and had rooted themselves in the "New World" earlier than the British, French, and Spanish did in our world.

Incidentally, if you wish to know my theory as to which colony/country represents which of the countries of the real world, here they are, with examples of different names of people coming from each location:

Caconsis Kingdom - England
General Selena, Commodore Wheeler, Angelina, Schelfaniel*, Bruno*

Sutherland - England
General Runford, Duke Lambert, Clifford, Masterson

Roschvoll - Germany
Rainforce, General Eiser

Regensburg Federation - Prussia
Secretary of War Gizarov, General Krger, Princess Rosenshiel, Prince Frederick, Prime Minister Russell

Torande (Kalxath pre-Lance)- French colony
Luna Torande, Narm Torande**

Elthlead Kingdom - Germanic colony+
Dyhalt Klaus, King Sieghalt, Prince Ruine, Gerriole***, Layla, Jessica

Rigulier Empire - Germanic colony
Emperor Heinrich Christ IV, Prince Paul Christ III, Secretary of War Artemller, General Farna, General Gaiel, General Bolz, General Emarlink

Barral Kingdom - Germanic(?)**** colony
King Wilder, Princess Flaire, Dios, Ruud

Velzeria Kingdom - Native monster kingdom and Russian colony
Emperor Bser II-IV, Undead user Grove, Shapeshifter Ferakia, Raag, Nikolas, Naga, Listil, Naal

Baldia Kingdom - Anglo-Saxon colony (formed after the collapse of Elthlead), with British and Germanic ties as well
Prince Ledyn, Elwin, Taylor, Jessica

Dalsis Empire - Spanish or Italian colony
Emperor Digos, Zeldo, Sir Garius, Celia, Raias, Leticia, Lance Kalxath

Kalxath Kingdom (II)/Empire (V) - French colony
Princess Sherry Kalxath, Keith, Empress Clarette Kalxath, Quade, Kfahde, Eric

Rayguard Empire - Spanish colony *****
Leon, Vargas, Laird, Imelda, Eggbert, Bernhardt, Emilia, Eliza

Salrath Kingdom - English colony
Scott, Aaron, Duke Hawking, Thorne

Native El Sallians, the Shika - Native Americans

+ - With the exception of Torande, I'm fully aware that the various kingdoms and empires formed on El Sallia are hardly colonies any longer.  However, I say colony to reinforce my point that these nations are not indigenous to El Sallia.

*Schelfaniel and Bruno are hardly English names, which leads me to believe that Caconsis was experiencing close ties with another Germanic kingdom at the time, leading to immigration between the two countries (perhaps Queen Caconsis was in fact Germanic, explaining the name of her daughter).

** - Torande had already collapsed by Langrisser I, but I included Narm anyway to show that she indeed was descended from the Torande family line.

*** - Gerriole sounds more French than Germanic, leading me to believe that he may have originally come from Torande, a colony with very close ties to Elthlead Kingdom (then Rarkas Kingdom).

**** - I have no earthly idea what country Barral is supposed to represent.  King Wilder suggests Germanic, but Ruud sounds more Danish to me, and the names Flaire and Dios just mystify me.

***** - Most of the names in Rayguard sound Spanish to me, but because of the magnitude of the empire, one will find names of other origins as well (Laird being Scottish and Bernhardt/Eggbert being Germanic).

Please note that this was entirely from memory, and I've probably forgotten a nation or two, but I'd say this is a pretty comprehensive list.  Also, keep in mind that I didn't strive to include *everybody* from each country, only some examples to illustrate my point.

思い知るが良い、己の未熟さを!
Chibi-Yoshon
Administrator

All of my personalities have been STOLEN by you vultures!
    Re: Bosel: The *best* spelling of his name?   (Date posted: 09/02/01 at 15:24:25) Quote Modify Delete

Is there a translation for Langrisser Four?
I really want to start playing it.

I have been stripped bare of my personalities, I am no-one. I am... Not-Yoshon.

Quotes:

"who's been in my mayonnaise? I know there was more than this in the jar. How many times do I have to tell you people to leave my mayonnaise alone!?-Clint Eastwood, after opening his personal refrigerator

"Sorry Rajiv, but the asylum members are in another channel"-Me

"I HAS THE TAPE!"- Kaa Lee

"And now I leave you to your.... umm... Your moosy fate! MWAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!"-Zim, from invader Zim (commenting on his plot to send someone to a... room with a moose)

"You're really one of the only people who can appreciate that Amaaazingness of this plan"-Zim, from Invader Zim

"Life is like a poem, you give and take"- Guy on Goth site

"HOW THE HELL IS THAT LIKE A POEM!?"-Masterninja.com

"What do you get when you kiss a girl? You get enough germs to catch pneumonia And after that... she'll never phone ya"- Burt Bacharach

"It's not easy to give a damn"- Rajiv

Scythe
Still Insanely Cool Guy!

Re: Bosel: The *best* spelling of his name?   (Date posted: 09/02/01 at 16:07:39) Quote Modify Delete

Hey Oog's theory does seem to make sense (as far as I can see from my limited knowledge of Langrisser overall) and is certainly a cool idea...However I still fail to see where the Aniki fit in but I guess the programmers didn't intend them to so nevermind. ^_-

Lester_the_Molester
A weird material

Nookie never lies!
    Re: Bosel: The *best* spelling of his name?   (Date posted: 09/02/01 at 17:54:56) Quote Modify Delete

I'm not exactly sure but I think that Dios is probably a Greek name.
And as for the Aniki, I believe their nationality could be Austrian.

No nookie = WAHT FUKC TEH!?
Scythe
Still Insanely Cool Guy!

Re: Bosel: The *best* spelling of his name?   (Date posted: 09/02/01 at 18:00:34) Quote Modify Delete

Yeah, but they were probably conceived in Amsterdam...^_-

Oogami
Administrator

POWAR PELLITS ARE GOOD!

Re: Bosel: The *best* spelling of his name?   (Date posted: 09/02/01 at 19:40:30) Quote Modify Delete

Hahahahaha =D.  The aniki are most definitely Austrian.  I mean, c'mon, just LOOK at 'em! ^_-

In any case, yes, Yoshon, there's both an incomplete script translation and a complete translation summary/FAQ available on the net (I know the latter at least is available on GameFAQs).  Both leave a bit to be desired, the first with its translation and the second with its battle/class change tactics, but its a start, at least =).

思い知るが良い、己の未熟さを!
Reply Printable Page
Pages: 1 2
Jump to:

IF YOU FIND YOURSELF WITH A PASSWORD INCORRECT ERROR, MY APOLOGIES. DELETE YOUR COOKIES ASSOCIATED WITH J2E.ORG TO FIX THIS ERROR.

YaBB Board ゥ 2000
YaBB Programming Team